Dear Parents and Caregivers,
Year 9 students returned this afternoon from a successful camp at River Ridge Retreat. Mrs Barron spent some time with them earlier in the week and could report that they were a great bunch of girls who were enjoying the opportunities and taking on the challenges with a positive attitude.
The 2016 Prefects introduced themselves to the school on Wednesday and we are looking forward to their contributions throughout the year.
Next Wednesday we are holding our Academic Blues Assembly and will be recognising students who gained an Excellence endorsement in NCEA in 2015, as well as students who gained scholarships. All students are asked to be in formal uniform for this service.
Next Thursday will be a mufti day and instead of a gold coin donation we ask that students contribute to the Fair effort by bringing a block or box of chocolates for the chocolate wheel – minimum value $5.
Don’t forget to keep bringing in goods for the fair. We are getting a great variety and are keen to add more. Please take the time over the weekend to clean out your cupboards, wardrobes and garages for all those forgotten treasures
Best wishes for all students departing for Summer Quad on Sunday. This is being held at St Margaret’s in Christchurch and we look forward to hearing how the teams get on.
From the Sports Department
Last year the PFA purchased for the school a marquee/tent which has the St HIlda’s name and crest on it, and which is available for use by school groups for sporting events. Any group wanting to use the tent can book it by contacting the Sports Department.
Please click here if you are an athlete wanting to compete in the Otago Secondary Schools Athletics Champs, to be held at the Caledonian on March 11/12.
Please note, you must compete in this event to qualify for Otago / Southland Athletics Champs and then onto South Island Secondary School Champs. These entries close on Tuesday 1st March 2016. You may enter a maximum of four events, plus a relay event.
Further information will be provided once entries are received.
We are excited to offer an Athlete Assistance and Development Programme this year, which is open to any Year 11 – 13 students who have sporting and performing arts ambitions. It is designed to support students to build resilience, independence and effective coping strategies in time management, planning and goal setting.
The programme will be facilitated by Belinda Colling who has over 10 years experience at the top of sport – playing for New Zealand in both netball and basketball. Belinda captained the Silver Ferns, she has competed at World Championships, Commonwealth Games and the Sydney Olympics.
She has a BA in Psychology, a Graduate Certificate in Career Counselling for Elite Performers and has worked for High Performance Sport New Zealand and Netball New Zealand. She has a passion for helping young athletes fulfilling their goals and reaching their potential and is excited about working with our school.
More information as well as an expression of interest form has been emailed out to all Year 11 – 13 students and can also be found here.
Olivia and Emma Andrew competed in the New Zealand Ocean Swim Series at Corsair Bay last weekend. Olivia was the overall winner in the Ocean Kids Swim, winning the opportunity to attend the Jetstar Super Swim Squad in Auckland over Anzac Weekend and Emma placed third in her age group.
Laney Keenan was selected for the New Zealand Ice Fernz and will compete at the 2016 International Ice Hockey Federations Women’s Div IIB World Championships in Spain in March. Laney is currently in Sweden attending a training camp.
St Hilda’s had some very good results at the Otago Secondary Schools’ Rowing Regatta last weekend:
- Ruby Grave placed 5th in the Novice Girls’ Single 600m
- Imogen Corbett, Gabby Hunter, Brie Shea, Claudia Maker and Mia Knott (cox) placed 1st in the Senior Girls’ Quad and Lili Sabonadiere, Kate Edwards, Georgia Hay, Josie Cook and Anna Frame (cox) placed 2nd
- In the Junior Girls’ Double, Emma Burnside and Helen Knott placed 2nd, Ruby Grave and Sophie Armstrong placed 3rd, Alannah Hamilton and Emily Hurdle placed 4th and Molly Gow and Tamara Mason placed 5th
- In Division One of the Senior Girls’ Single Georgia Clarke placed 2nd. Josie Cook placed second in Division Two
- Helen Knott, Lusia Maiai, Hannah Hedges, Isabelle Robertson and Mia Knott (cox) placed 1st in the Intermediate Girls’ Quad
- In the Intermediate Girls’ Four, Alannah Hamilton, Emma Burnside, Ruby Grave, Emily Hurdle and Emily Lynch-Sutherland (cox) placed 3rd and Lusia Maiai, Hannah Hedges, Isabelle Robertson, Sophie Armstrong and Mia Knott (cox) placed 4th
- In the Senior Girls’ Double, Lili Sabonadiere and Claudia Maker placed 1st and Josie Cook and Georgia Clarke placed 4th
- In the Junior Girls’ Quad, Emma Burnside, Helen Knott, Ruby Grave, Emily Hurdle and Emily Lunch-Sutherland (cox) placed 2nd and Alannah Hamilton, Sophie Armstrong, Tamara Mason, Molly Gow and Anna Frame (cox) placed 3rd
- In the Senior Girls’ Four, Imogen Corbett, Brie Shea, Gabby Hunter, Kate Edwards and Emily Lynch-Sutherland (cox) placed 1st and Lili Sabonadiere, Holly Armstrong, Claudia Maker, Georgia Hay and Anna Frame (cox) placed 3rd
- In the Intermediate Girls’ Double, Hannah Hedges and Isabelle Robertson placed 2nd and Alannah Hamilton and Lusia Maiai placed 5th
- In the Senior Girls/Boys Eight, Imogen Corbett, Holly Armstrong, Gabby Hunter, Brie Shea, Lili Sabonadiere, Kate Edwards, Claudia Maker, Georgia Hay and Anna Frame (cox) placed 5th
Hawkins Construction have kindly made available tickets for Highlanders games at Forsyth Barr Stadium. The seats are superbly located and you can enjoy pre and after match relaxation via access to the Level 2 and Level 4 hospitality areas. Tickets will be processed on a first come, first served basis. Extra tickets may be available and as such could be a good opportunity for business owners or managers to take their staff or clients out in an affordable way. The price for these tickets is by fair and reasonable donation however we would expect a minimum donation of $25 per ticket. All funds will go to a hardship fund, which enables all students to participate in school camps and sports trips.
The tickets are full lounge access cards and as such will need to be returned to school after the game. The first game is against the Hurricanes on Saturday 5 March at 7.35pm. Please email Joanne at email@example.com if you are interested.