Weekly News – Term 1 | Week 4

Dear Parents and Caregivers,

Next week the PFA are collecting items for the White Elephant – on Wednesday students may wear mufti to school and must bring an item that is new or near new.  We are also offering a drop off period for fair items on Saturday 3 March from 10.00am – 2.00pm.  Further information is in the poster above. Please support this important event on our school calendar, it raises funds that enable us to offer a quality experience for your daughters.  The PFA are doing a huge amount of work to make this event a success, so let’s all assist them, and keep the goods rolling in.

One week prior to the fair beginning, parents will be able to enter online bids for the silent auction.  More information regarding this will be made available closer to the time.  So far, we have over 80 items for the silent auction, which include weekend getaways to at least six holiday homes in the region, a blue cod fishing trip, original art work from some well known Dunedin artists, gym subscriptions, meal vouchers, travel voucher, jewelry, an annual family golf club membership plus so many more … BUT the pièce de résistance has to be the Luxury Raffle which goes on sale in the next couple of weeks… with a total prize package of over $18,000 dollars it’s a raffle not to be missed, check out these prizes…

First Prize
Luxury Fiji Holiday Includes 3 nights, accommodation & meals for 2 adults in a beach front villa on Vomo Island. Donated by Southern Motor Group.
Return airfares from Dunedin flying Air New Zealand. Donated by Hello World and Air New Zealand (Airport surcharges and taxes not included).

Second Prize
A brand new caged trailer – WOF and Registered (Donated by Parents and Friends Assn) and a full load of firewood (Donated by Steel Family).

Third Prize
Queenstown Luxury Family Weekend
Includes 2 nights’ accommodation in a two-bedroom suite at Scenic Suites Queenstown, loan of a luxury Mercedes courtesy of Armstrong Prestige, Skyline Family Luge voucher including complimentary Gondola ride and a Prime Restaurant meal voucher.

Fourth prize
Cromwell Family Getaway
Includes 2 nights’ accommodation at the 4-star Central Gateway Motel, a new Honda CRV for the weekend courtesy of Southern Honda, Highlands Park family voucher and a Wooing Tree Vineyard meal voucher.

Fifth Prize
Family Studio Photoshoot with Clive Copeman Photography – includes A3 sized framed portrait (Donated by Copeman Family).

Keep an eye out for tickets, this is one raffle you have a serious chance of winning five prizes with only 5000 tickets on offer.

Interim reports will be sent out at the end of Week 6.  Fifteen minute interviews will be held with students, parents and whanau teachers on Thursday 15 March from 1.00pm – 4.00pm and 6.00pm – 8.00pm.  Booking information will be sent to parents the week prior to interviews.

Year 12 and 13 students are departing on Sunday for Abel Tasman and Murchison.  Hopefully the weather is better than what it has been this week and the girls have a great time.

Good luck to Olivia Hazlett and Libby Drummond who are competing at the Otago Southland Water Ski Championships on Sunday.

Chapel Matters

If you haven’t seen it yet, I would totally recommend seeing the movie “The Greatest Showman.”  It is a musical with great songs, a great story, and of course it has Hugh Jackman.  One of the songs that has really stuck with me is “This is Me.” It is sung by Keala Settle who  plays the part of the bearded lady, and in this song she gives voice to the struggles of the  characters in the circus called the “Oddities,” characters who don’t fit into their society.  The lyrics include: “I’m not a stranger to the dark / Hide away, they say / ‘Cause we don’t want  your broken parts … No one will love you as you are.” But then the fire in the song catches: “I  won’t let them break me down to dust / I know that there’s a place for us /For we are glorious …  I am brave, I am bruised / I am who I’m meant to be / This is me … I’m not scared to be seen / I  make no apologies / This is me.”

This song – and this movie – teach us that we don’t need to apologise for who we are, because we are glorious. The Bible tells us that human beings are made in the image of God and so just as God is glorious, so are we. That we are all worthy of being valued and respected, just for being human, in all our diversity and difference. We are not meant to be perfect, we are just meant to be ourselves, and to appreciate others who are different to us; no one should be made to feel inferior, and no one should judge another person for being different, because every single person reflects the wonder and glory of God in one way or another.

“You have searched me, LORD, and you know me. You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well” (Psalm 139)

From the Guidance Network

In the above video, Psychologist Susan David shares how the way we deal with our emotions shapes everything that matters: our actions, careers, relationships, health and happiness. In this deeply moving, humorous and potentially life-changing talk, she challenges a culture that prizes positivity over emotional truth and discusses the powerful strategies of emotional agility.

Tolcarne News

Last week we had out first Tribe dinner where the students got dressed up in their tribe colours for pictures and games. Our Head Boarders, Bella and Hannah, organised some swimming relays and afterwards girls voted on the Year 13 Tribe Captains. Congratulations to the girls that were voted in:

• Highgate: Jaclyn Williams and Sam Herbert
  • Faulkland: Arnika Buchan and Alice Murphy
  • Grendon: Lucy Hazlett and Olivia George
  • Baxter: Georgie Pope and Stacey Sanders

Student Achievement

Athletics results have been confirmed and these will be announced at an assembly on Tuesday 13 March, where the recipients will also receive trophies for their event.

The volleyball team that competed at Summer Quad

Summer Quad was this year hosted by Rangi Ruru.  St Hilda’s placed first in swimming, second in touch, and third in debating, volleyball and tennis, which placed us third overall in the tournament.  The girls played well with fantastic school spirit, especially on Monday in 30 degree heat.  We now look forward to hosting Winter Quad later this year and Summer Quad in 2019.

Farrin Quin has been selected to compete at the June Bevan Carnival – an Australasian Under 17 Badminton Teams Event being held in Invercargill in April. She is playing in the Mainland 1 team (essentially a South Island team).

Jaide Dixon and Danielle Ferguson have been selected in the New Zealand U16 Touch Team to compete in the Trans Tasman Series in Australia in September.  Sarah Johnstone has also been selected in the New Zealand U16 Development Squad.