Dear Parents and Caregivers,
Today we held our Easter Eucharist Service which was led by Reverend Esther Clarke-Prebble. It was a special service and a lovely way to come together as a community and the Madrigal choir added to the atmosphere of respectful reflection. We received a large number of items for Anglican Family Care – thank you to all for your donations.
Ichikawa students are busy preparing for their farewell this evening. It has been a fabulous exchange and we are indebted to the girls and families who have opened their home and been such generous and kind hosts. The girls have loved the experience and once again we wish them a safe journey home and look forward to next year.
A reminder that school is closed on Friday 25 March, Monday 28 March and Tuesday 29 March. The hostel closes tonight at 5.00pm and will reopen at 3.00pm on Tuesday 29 March. Wishing you all a safe and enjoyable Easter break.
Sophie Conner and Emily Hurdle have been selected to attend the University of Otago’s Te Rauawa o te Pahi Otago Scholarship Programme. The girls will spend time at the Marine Studies Centre undertaking a research project, before presenting their findings on April 18 at Otakou marae.
Susie Olssen has been selected for an STS Student Travel Schools’ semester exchange to the United States in August. Susie will return home in January.
There were some great results at last weekend’s South Island Secondary Schools’ Athletics.
Caitlyn George, Mikayla Thorn and Leonie and Joccoaa Palmer won the 4 x 100m Relay and the following girls qualified for the South Island Secondary School Champs:
Georgie Jessop – 1st Javelin
Sarah Langsbury – 1st 100m; 1st= 80m Hurdles; 2nd High Jump; 3rd Long Jump
Sophie Sinclair – 1st 3000m; 2nd 1500m
Lily Davies – 4th 80m Hurdles
Georgia Mitchell – 3rd U16 1500m
Caitlyn George – 3rd 100m; 2nd 200m
Mikayla Thorn – 4th Triple Jump; 5th Long Jump
Leonie Palmer – 5th 200m
Joccoaa Palmer – 1st 300m Hurdles; 2nd Triple Jump; 4th 100m; 3rd 200m
At last weekend’s South Island Secondary Schools’ Rowing Championships the girls made 16 finals and every single girl was in one or more finals, which is exceptional considering there was 1111 athletes competing and some very large, strong fields.
St Hilda’s placed 18th out of 46 schools in the Bell Points trophy and 7th Girls’ School overall.
- GOLD GU15 quad Alannah Hamilton, Emma Burnside, Helen Knott, Emily Hurdle, cox Mia Knott
- SILVER GU18 LW double Lili Sabonadiere, Claudia Maker
- BRONZE GU17 double Lili Sabonadiere, Claudia Maker
- BRONZE GU15 double Emma Burnside, Helen Knott
- 5th GU17 quad Imogen Corbett, Gabby Hunter, Brie Shea, Claudia Maker, cox Mia Knott
- 6th GU15 four Alannah Hamilton, Emma Burnside, Ruby Grave, Emily Hurdle, cox Emily Lynch-Sutherland
- 6th GU18 novice double Ruby Grave, Sophie Armstrong
- 6th GU17 eight Imogen Corbett, Holly Armstrong, Gabby Hunter, Brie Shea, Josie Cook, Kate Edwards, Molly Butt, Georgia Hay, cox Anna Frame
- 7th GU17 single Josie Cook
- 7th GU18 eight Imogen Corbett, Holly Armstrong, Gabby Hunter, Brie Shea, Georgia Clarke, Kate Edwards, Molly Butt, Georgia Hay, cox Mia Knott
- 3rd GU18 single Georgia Clarke
- 3rd GU16 double Hannah Hedges, Issie Robertson
- 4th GU16 quad Alannah Hamilton, Lusia Maiai, Hannah Hedges, Issie Robertson, cox Anna Frame
- 6th GU18 novice four Ruby Grave, Sophie Armstrong, Molly Gow, Tamara Mason, cox Anna Frame
- 7th GU18 double Georgia Clarke, Holly Armstrong
- 7th GU16 four Helen Knott, Lusia Maiai, Hannah Hedges, Issie Robertson, cox Emily Lynch-Sutherland
At the Intercollegiate Golf Competition held at Chisholm Links Golf Club last week Annabel Evans came 10th overall and Eden Carson came 29th overall.
The St Hilda’s Touch Team placed 2nd at the South Island Secondary Schools’ Championships in Christchurch and have qualified for the National Tournament in December.
The following girls represented St Hilda’s in the Dunedin Primary/Intermediate Schools’ Triathlon last week at Port Chalmers:
- Annabel Bilkey, Grace Cotter and Emma Andrew – placed 1st in Year 8
- Dani Willsman – placed 6th as Year 8 Individual
- Tessa McConachie – placed 17th as Year 8 Individual
Dani and the Year 8 team have now qualified for the Otago Schools’ Triathlon to be held in Cromwell on March 31.
Super 15 Rugby Tickets
Hawkins Construction have kindly donated a number of corporate lounge-access centre-line tickets for the Super 15 games at the Forsyth Barr Stadium. We have tickets available for the following games:
- Friday 1 April – Highlanders vs Force
- Friday 22 April – Highlanders vs Sharks
- Friday 13 May – Highlanders vs Crusaders
- Saturday 16 July – Highlanders vs Chiefs
The seats are superbly located and you can enjoy pre and after match relaxation via access to the Level 2 and Level 4 hospitality areas. Tickets will be processed on a first come, first served basis. Extra tickets may be available and as such could be a good opportunity for business owners or managers to take their staff or clients out in an affordable way. The price for these tickets is by fair and reasonable donation however we would expect a minimum donation of $25 per ticket. All funds will go to a hardship fund, which enables all students to participate in school camps and sports trips.
The tickets are full lounge access cards and as such will need to be returned to school after the game. Please email Joanne at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.